On Friday, December 8th, 2023, Parliament and Council negotiators reached a provisional agreement on the Artificial Intelligence Act. Despite the approved text has not been published yet, the press release pointed out the major highlights:
- Safeguards agreed on general purpose artificial intelligence;
- Limitation for the of use biometric identification systems by law enforcement;
- Bans on social scoring and AI used to manipulate or exploit user vulnerabilities;
- Right of consumers to launch complaints and receive meaningful explanations;
- Fines ranging from 35 million euro or 7% of global turnover to 7.5 million or 1.5% of turnover.
The agreed text will now have to be formally adopted by both Parliament and Council to become EU law. To read the European Parliament’s Press release, please click on the following link.